Yes, I have a test coming up and yes, I should be studying and filling my head with the words of my text instead of typing this. However, every 3 lines I skim through seem to give me a greater excuse to wander to the memories of my life.
Or more specifically, the memories of travelling.
I must say I am one very fortunate child. By the age of 18, I have traveled to Jordan, Israel, Australia, China, Japan, Malaysia (although in your defense, Malaysia is just a bus ride away), Vietnam, Indonesia, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and a few other places I cant remember off the top of my head right now. I am not bragging though, but through all travels, I've learnt a few things, or probably in my case formed my opinions about a few things that people should do when they are travelling.
I cant lie. I love travelling. From the hectic packing to hopping on a plane, taking typical shots of boarding passes and just experiencing another country. Hence forth, here are some things I want to share that I've learnt from my parents and my personal experiences.
1. No child is ever too "young" to travel.
I have heard many new parents tell me they have decided to put off travelling until their child is older and easier to bring along but what they don't get is that they are missing the best years to take their child out to see a different sight, experience something new. The first time I traveled with my parents was when I could first walk. A 2 year old in tow really teaches the child to fully trust you. Also, when they are young, its the only time they truly want to travel with you. The moment I was 14 and took my first flight without my mother, I never wanted to again. Never miss the precious moments of when they still want to play with you and be around you. most parents work all day and come home just in time to eat dinner and kiss their children goodnight, so travelling together as a family could mean the only time you get to see your child's face light up in the sun and take a million picturesque photos before they grow up and think taking pictures with you is "uncool".
2. Not everything needs a picture.
I think mother nature is just amazing but if we can only appreciate it trough the lens of the camera then what is the point? You could always take a trip down "Google street" and see the amazing sights. Everything is much more beautiful in real life. Don't miss the real moments by trying to capture something else. See with your eyes and feel with every part of your skin. When I was in Disneyland with my mother in 2012, she spent an hour by the entrance snapping so many photos she never really got time to see the inside and the magic of everything. Pictures are important but if your vision is constantly framed by the lenses of a camera, its time to put it down and just appreciate the moments and the surroundings.
3. Try everything you cant find back home.
Yes, Im talking about food. I love eating with the passion of a hungry lion but when I was a kid, I was so picky, or in my case, I was really just adamant on eating rice. Travelling really broke that habit. (Parents, this is another reason to take your children travelling) I'm not talking about trying delicacies of some countries like Duck Embryo (Philippines) or weird creatures on sticks (China), I'm talking about things more sane but exotic at the same time. You could go the extreme end of food tasting, but I probably wont. In fact, visiting Thailand and Vietnam really broke that habit. Sure they served rice too but the way they cooked stuff was simply different. I didn't want to try at first but I knew I would end up hungry, so in went the local food and my taste buds thanked food- heaven for creating what I ate.
(If you ever go Taiwan, you need to try their smelly Tofu. It smells, but boy, is it good. Oh, and squid inked ice-cream from Japan *winks*)
4. Stay in a backpackers hostel at least once or twice.
It will radically change your experience and travel memories. Sure, they aren't as luxurious as classy hotels and they don't provide you with free toiletries you can take home but it is like a mini community. Besides, they are cheaper. Maybe its the inner-hippie in me talking but the late night chats by the common area got me acquainted with some pretty interesting people. I met people from all over the world on different travelling reasons, ambitions and life stories and they are usually welcoming and fun. They were all nice and I thought all of them knew each other for long since they shared drinks/ snacks and talked about their Favorite sports clubs like old friends do. I can remember feeling like maybe we were in the cast of some weird family Christmas movie that I didn't know starred me.
5. Learn and respect their traditions.
When you travel, NEVER expect an entire country to compromise to your cultures and common habits. They shouldn't have to because you are a guest in their country. You should follow their customs. If you go to Japan, learn the right way to call elders (elder: San. Someone of a lower rank than you, e.g a child, Chan.), be on time and learn how to use the chopsticks the right way. Korea, bow to elders. Vietnam, respect the traffic and follow their norms instead of trying to complain about the amount of motorcycles cruising the road (Tip: Just keep walking. They don't exactly have traffic lights and the motorcycles will slow down like a slow-mo of the red sea to let you pass.) If you're going to a very culture influenced country, remember to do your research or you could end up offending a lot of people. Also, through all that I've learnt always, ALWAYS be sensitive to what you say. Not every country is liberal and some people are brought up differently.
6. Witness a cultural tradition.
Be it a religious dance or a tea ceremony in China, this will bring back so much memories. If you embarrass yourself and people forgive you, it could be a great story to tell too! I'm not talking about participating in cult activities, that's a little extreme but little cultural things Even though you many not share the religious background of someone, you can always witness it. Don't be a daft prick living in your own world. People should live in harmony and the best way is to accept each other. you don't have to agree, you just have to accept that people an be different from you. Plus, you cant exactly say you "understand" something if you don't try to experience or even witness it. Heck, if you witness a wedding, even better! In fact, I was asked to be part of Vietnamese wedding photo shoot just because I happen to be at the right place at the right time, commenting that the bride was beautiful and next thing you know, the couple wanted a photo with me.
7. Learn a new language and use it.
Or just the greetings. People may laugh at you but what harm can it get? You probably made someone's day ir they could help you out! Its not like they are going to video tape you and show it to everyone on YouTube. Chances are, they are actually amused and impressed. At least I always am. When a Caucasian tourist tries to say hi to me in Chinese I think its hearting that they are trying to connect. Right, and did I mention it might come in handy as well?
8. Take public transport.
Sure, getting around in a car or a tour bus is relaxing and you don't need think but why do that when you can see what a day in a regular local's life is like. Maybe not join in the bustle but personally I feel that taking the trains in different countries is pretty fun. You get to meet the locals, you can compare how different train systems are and stuff like that. I even got a free bus ride in Australia just because the bus driver thought it was cool I hopped onto their public buses just. Oh, and if you have terrible itenary-planning skills like me, you can just do what I do. Hop on a train, drop off wherever sounds fun and figure your way around. That really forced me to read maps and ask for directions. After all, it should be an adventure right?
9. Do something you normally wouldn't do.
Let the trip be one of adventure, whims and fancy. There's a reason why people talk about falling in love in another country. Because in a different country everything is surreal. Nothing is part of your reality or your norm which is why it makes it a fantasy. Hence, do something your normally wouldn't do. Too afraid to sing in front of a crowd normally? Go for an open mic night and just do it. If you mess up, at least you'd know there's no one you know in the crowd and it is not like you will see these people ever again. Never thought you might swim with whales, heck, book a trip to do so. Normally wouldn't stomp on rapes to make your own wine and drink it, do it! So what if you get hurt a little? I always say, "You never know until you try." I tried doing a little mountain biking stunt thing in Karri Valley, Australia, fell and had 9 stitches. Did I regret it? Not one bit. At least I learnt to check my brakes from then on. Volunteer to be picked for shows that include audiences because chances of you ever returning is low and don't be shy. Do'nt return home and say "I wish I got to help shear a sheep" or "I cant believe I missed the opportunity to dance on stage with my favorite childhood band.". Never let such silly regrets ruin your amazing stories.
10. Keep an open mind and be flexible.
About everything. Including meeting people. Have I ever told you I was in the WWI memorial museum in Israel when I ran head on into the president of Poland. Yes, all I saw was a blur of blue (also known as his belly cos I was and still am a short human being). Thank God I was only 13 cos if I did that now I think his guards would have pinned me down. His companions were all shocked but I honestly wasnt looking. but you see, I now have a fascinating story to tell people. Well, this is the open mind part. You never know who youd meet, what you might have to do or what youd see. However, the internet is just a tiny place compared to the world. Be flexible to change in plans and an open mind to try everything you can because in the end, these memories are shaped by yourself.
11. Contrary to popular belief, you do'nt have to be rich to travel.
There are ways to travel cheap. They've got trains, ships, bikes, hostels, kind people's houses... Etc. travelling is not just for the rich, its for everyone. Or at least everyone who is willing to give it a shot. Sure travelling when you're rich is easy because all the expensive stuff gets promoted but to really research and find cheap accommodations, sometimes you'll get to experience new things. Hotels are all the same usually anyways. So why don't you give it a spin to your trip. People will really envy your courage too.
I am going to end here. I have way more takeaways from all my trips but in the general sense, culture is very important for me. Both as an artist and a traveler. I get so much inspiration for artworks from architecture, food, art in different cultures and religions and my experiences. Not every trip presents sunsets by mountains, Ive seen harsh things like famine, earthquakes, hunger, abandonment. But these things make me who I am, the beliefs I have about people and my love for people and food.
Travel for the good and the bad. Travel, just because.
"Those who do not truly travel only see one page of a book"-Anonymous.
"Those who do not truly travel only see one page of a book. Those who try to experience it through Google are simply blind."- Me
Love,
Cheryl Spacemonkey (13th January 2014)
No comments:
Post a Comment