Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Opinions on Kpop

Honestly, I think it has been widely overrated. Not all of them are actually good. Well, some of them are undeniably talented however I have to disagree with that minor few. No, you aren't good and your looks aren't going to be of much help anytime soon.

Anyone who knows me well enough can be my witness. I hate Kpop. I used to like it until it became vastly overrated. Sometimes, I think that maybe it is the fans who contribute to my hatred. You know, the deafening crowd of girls when a band name is mentioned. The guys cooing over how "hot" the girls are. Groups formed TRYING to imitate the dance moves. I'm not saying you shouldn't dance but if you have two left feet, left hands and left eyeballs like some of the groups I've seen, don't. Just don't. Save it for when you're in the shower.

Lets talk about the bands. Some of the bands are so huge, they start to seem more like a dance group that sings. Rather than a singing group that dances. Probably that is why I think you can't sing! Half the time you seem like a huge 9-member dance group singing! I mean it is totally fine not to have a controversial band. Lead singer, guitarists, drummers and keyboardists. Like the American teen band "Big Time Rush". You know, a small group that sings, blends vocals and dance a little.

Have you ever looked at Justin Bieber and thought he looked like a girl? I have never. Well, I have never until they posted photoshopped pictures of how he would look like as a girl. On the other hand, when I look at some of the male Kpop singers, I sometimes ask my friends, "Why are there 4 girls in that boy band?". Then, my friends who are fans get offended. Honestly, if these guys have such little petite figures, cute little pale blushed faces and pretty hair, you really can't blame me. In Korean dramas, sometimes I get horrified. Not being homophobic but these ARE listed as family dramas which kids watch too. When a female looking guy kisses the girl of his dreams in the show, sometimes they look like lesbians at first glance. It shocked me very much. Of course until he turns and I'd say, "THAT is a dude?".

If you are one of those male fans that rattle on day and night about how "hot" the Korean females are, I have to warn you first. These artistes have either gone through plastic surgery or at least wear 200 pounds of make up every day. If you do walk the streets of Korea one day, you would realize that regular, non-international faces are just like any plain janes. Plain ol' Asian women on the streets.

Same goes to the men. Girls, I know your idols look fabulous on screen and you lament about how you were not born in Korea and in the future marry a handsome Korean. Well, let me burst your little bubble of lies. Normal Korean men aren't all that good looking either. I won't be surprised if you come home disappointed. They look just like any Asian too. Just different languages. Trust me. They are just NORMAL humans. NORMAL Asians. They aren't the capital of amazing looking Asians.

Honestly some of  the stars even undergo surgery to make themselves taller or get cheekbone fillers etc. In fact, a friend told me about the Lolita effect. About how the media causes people's perception of beauty and sexualization. Honestly, being an Asian living in Asia, sometimes I feel that I am not good enough. After all, the media does tell us how we are supposed to look and what is the definition of "ugly". In fact a lot of times we find ourselves comparing our body image to those tiny little singers.

Therefore, I have a lot of reasons to dislike Kpop and I haven't even went into the band name, "Shinee". Everytime I hear that name, I  think about the sparkly vampire from "Twilight".  Not the best impression ever. "Wonder Girls". Wonder Woman had a one night stand with some Asian guy and gave birth to a group of singing girls? Alright, I should end here. However, before I end, I would like to say that I don't hate ALL of Kpop, just most. In fact, if you ask me, "FT Island" is pretty okay to my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment