Everyone has had their fair share of mean and rude shopkeepers right? Some shop keepers laze around and do their work inefficiently, some stare at you like stepping into the shop was a sin and some just plainly ignore you. The worst kind are those that are dishonest or worse, yell at you. That is downright wrong.
Well, first let's talk about the confused shopkeepers. When you ask them for assistance, their response is one of confusion and they would usually tell you "I'm not sure". Most of them are really nice. They are the friendliest and always seem to be apologizing. On the other hand, it could become very frustrating if you are in a hurry while they take their time helping you out. Sometimes I just need things fast. Like I was at the bookstore last week, I was in a hurry to get somewhere else and was looking for a book I was really keen on reading. I scanned the shelves, failed to spot it and asked for help. I regretted asking for her help. She was really kind but I had to wait for over 20 minutes for her to come back and tell me "Oh, I'm sorry, that book is sold out.". It really ticked me off then because I was late for my next appointment and the whole time I was waiting I was thinking to myself "Where is she? Why is she not back yet? Shouldn't she know where it is?" I know I sound like I'm not being fair to her. Especially if she was new. However, at the moment itself, it just seemed like eternity. Yes, I should have left, but she told me to wait and seeing her ask all her colleagues made me felt terrible to know if I left and she finally found the book, she would be disappointed I was gone. She didn't anyhow. Then again, this category is really not bad at all. It just gets really frustrating especially for someone like me with little patience.
Right. So now, the lazy ones. The lazy ones are the ones that really get to me. Sometimes they ignore you like your questions are redundant. Sometimes they make mistakes and get someone else to clean it up for them. You know what is most irritating about it? Sometimes they get the customers to "clean up their mess". Not real cleaning, because it would be weird but things like telling the customers that they "cannot do anything about it". They usually can.
Once, I was at 7/11 and I got a Slurpee for myself. I don't know about other countries, but in Singapore, as long as you hold a student pass you get your Slurpees at only a dollar. Refreshing and wonderfully amazing for a country that suffers summer all year long. Okay, back to the story. The shopkeeper rather than checking for my student pass, keyed in $1.60 (it was a small Slurpee). I was digging for my pass then so I didn't notice. You know what she told me when I finally got it out? She said, "Oh, I'm sorry but I already keyed it in so you have to pay 60 cents extra.". I hated it. I wanted to tell her, "No, I am not paying 60 cents extra because of your mistake. You should have been more careful. Now, you could cancel that order and place a second one. Learn from your mistake." but I didn't. I just paid 60 cents extra and left. It really annoys me.
You know what bugged me more? It was in one of my favorite places and also a tourist spot. It not only tarnishes the image of Singapore but it infuriates me that she is such a lazy bum. Cancelling the order is only a matter of a few keystrokes. Even if she had to pay for the cancellation or suffer some other consequence from a supervisor, she should just face up to it. Everyone makes mistakes. They have to face the consequences of it (unlike a coward) and learn from it. It actually is as easy as it sounds when it comes to this situation.
Have you ever been yelled at by a shopkeeper before? It is one of the most shocking things I have experienced. Mostly because I didn't see it coming, partly because the guy was probably towering 2 heads above me. It was a very unnerving experience. Sometimes even female shopkeepers scream at you as if you're their two-timing boyfriend or something like that. It is scary... especially with their sharp polished nails (more like claws if you ask me). They might be having bad day but it is still no reason to yell at your customers. They didn't do anything to you. Even if they accidentally spilled something on your floors, it is still no reason to yell at them. You serve them. That is your job. I agree it sucks but if it is your job, you should just do it.
You know which type of shopkeepers irk me the most? The dishonest ones. I have both witnessed and experienced shopkeepers overcharging just because they think someone looks easy enough to fool. My momma raised no fool. No, I don't see right through you. Mostly I saw the price tag first. I hate it when the try to weave lies and then excuses to charge you that dollar extra. Honesty goes a long way in my books.
I know I sound like a stuck up rich brat but I'm not. I'm just saying that being courteous and helpful goes a long way. I met a very nice group of waiters and waitresses at the Pizza Hut close to my school. They're partly the reason why I eat there almost once every week. I love cheese. Even though I finished ALL the Parmesan they were delightfully glad to refill more for me. they kept filling our glasses with Pepsi over and over again when I knocked over my Pepsi and spilled cheese all over the table (by accident), they didn't even glare at me. They just cleaned it up. i apologized profusely and they just smiled and laughing WITH me that it was entirely fine.Their attitude and service just makes the food 10 times better.
I don't ask for much. just courtesy and a more pleasant attitude, not acting like your bad day was the customers' fault. Sometimes, it is but that is no reason to give an unpleasant attitude. I really understand when they roll their eyes thinking I don't see it and when they glare at demanding customers but the above I mentioned is just plainly crossing the line. They should know that. As for the confused category, I just have to say, act. Act like you know. Be confident about it. Sooner or later, you'll learn your way around and the ropes. Just don't let a customer wait too long while you try to find your way. If I were you, I would apologize after the 5-minute mark and if the customer insists on staying then that is great.
I have said my piece. Kudos to the shopkeepers that made the everything bearable and sometimes even fun. Keep up the good work!
No comments:
Post a Comment