Monday, 17 September 2012

Opinions on Stamps

Since today I went to the philatelic museum, I felt that it would be very befitting to talk about my hobby.  I have a million and one hobbies and stamp collecting is one of of them. To be honest, it is postage and mail itself that interests me a lot.However I shall leave my love for mail another day. Today, I am going to talk about stamps.

When the word "stamps" is mentioned, most people would see it as "boring". However, I don't. As one who loves and appreciates art, I see stamps as mini art. Usually stamps are printed sketches, drawing, paintings, photography and digital designs. They are so small it takes a while to appreciate every single detail of a stamp.

They tell stories too. Every stamp is inspired buy a real life event, festivals, famous people, cartoons, buildings and etc. I never liked history, however when I look at stamps, I don't think about a boring history lecture. I just look at it, see the date on it and from there you could tell stories. It tells about the culture of a country as well. Stamps with pictures of the daily life of locals,traditional food, clothes, festivals, so on and so forth. I could shop for old stamps all day if I like and I wouldn't mind. Just like how some sports fanatics could run all day without breaking a sweat, I could stand over stamp collections for hours admiring mini art.

With the advancement of technology, stamps are no longer a piece of perforated paper that helps us deliver mail or admire art. There are even glow-in-the dark stamps which are extremely fascinating. Under white light they look boring plain old cartooned stamps. However in the dark, the magic happens and they glow. I always loved glow in the dark things. They are always so fun. Then there were also diamond encrusted stamps. They say diamonds are girls' best friends. In this case, it is definitely my best friend. I'm not just a girl but a stamp-lover. Which is definitely a win-win situation. To all the guys that like to jam out and enjoy good music, I have something for you. Real CDs with actual tracks in it that also happens to be a legitimate stamp. A stamp that sings. How cool is that?

I love collecting stamps from all over the world. My boyfriend even sent me nice stamp album and I loved it. I even bought stamps from the museum shop from other countries. I just love things from all around the world. Stamps are the cheapest and most convenient which also caused me to love them even more. Seeing the whole world through little tiny windows, a peek in every piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment