Monday, 10 September 2012

Opinions on Tattoos

Everyone who knows me well enough would know Ill never get a tattoo. I thought of it once but decided not to. I do like looking at pretty tattoo designs though. They're like paintings but on a different canvas. My mom would flip if I ever got a tattoo. Trust me. She'll yell at me for hours and only relent after my neighbors call the police to complain about disturbance in the middle of the night. I wouldn't get a tattoo anyways. Both for religious and personal reasons. The bible stated that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and we should stay as pure as possible. Yes, I am a Christian. Also personal reasons because I'm a scaredy cat. What if it goes wrong? Then I'll have a hideous "birthmark".  After all, getting rid of a tattoo is really expensive and not to mention painful.

Have you seen pictures of tattoos gone bad? No, it didn't rot. What I meant was that the tattoo came out wrong. Sometimes you could blame the artist but sometimes the design you requested to be permanently embellished into your skin just wouldn't look good. Ever.

When I see people who have tattoos of words or numbers I immediately see them as pigs. No, wait, PORK.  Why? When a pig is slaughtered to become pork, they would receive a stamp on their skin. The stamp is like a serial number. Sometimes the farmer might even stamp his farm's name on the pig. Do you see my connection now? I wasn't being mean (alright, maybe I was) but it is true! They look like pork ready for sale at the market.

Another "category"of tattoos bother me very much. I don't know if you can "categorize" tattoos but I don't know how else to say it. Anyways, I never understood the concept of  "couple tattoos". I don't know what else to call them but it is any tattoo that is relevant to your relationship with someone.

To make myself a little clearer, these are examples of what I call "couple tattoos".

  • Tattoos that say "I love ______"
  • Tattoos that say "This is ______'s property"
  • Tattoos that need the other half on the other person to form a full picture. (That is the worst and the weirdest)
  • Tattoos of  your partner's name.
At the moment, these are all I could come up with. They bother me very much because tattoos are permanent and wouldn't your next boyfriend or girlfriend interrogate you about it? It's like a polished trophy embedded into your skin. Don't you think you might, just MIGHT break up with them one day? It is not like you know the future. If you tattooed your spouse's name, then that is different.

I know a lot of people convince themselves that it is "body art". There is a difference between body art and simply splattering permanent ink on yourself. I know they are the same to almost everyone but to me, there is a difference. Body art is art. It has a meaning. Tattoos are just... meaningless drawings on your skin. At least that is how I see it.

Oh yes, a tip to end off. NEVER tattoo your phone number. Unless of course you enjoy getting prank calls every 2 hours. Saw a guy tattoo his number with the words "Call Me". Not only did he look like a pig to me, he seemed pretty silly when he yelled over the phone. I prank called him right then and there. Clueless pig didn't even know I was just  a few strides behind him! He might as well have tattooed "Laugh at me. I am a stupid pig." on his forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment