Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Opinions on Public Manners

Have you been on trains and have crazy old women screaming at you to give them your seats? Or on the bus   and someone decides to blast music loudly interrupting your thoughts? Or maybe getting shoved aside when you're holding the door for a stranger?

These are the little things that get to me. Sure you make think you aren't affecting anyone but in fact it does. A simple "thank you" or a smile would do. No one needs to see you grumble and grouch throwing your temper at random strangers. It really does get to me. There are just some things that really get to me. I know manners sound really stupid to be a blog post. Yes, I know I probably sound like your mother or your wife nagging at you to have some basic manners but some things are taught for a reason.

One of which is shoving. Just because you are in a hurry doesn't mean it gives you the right to jostle people around. The temptation is huge. Trust me. I have been there. Whenever I'm late for classes everyone seems to be walking with crutches. Then again, it still isn't right to jostle people around. You are not the king of the world. Just because you are in a bad mood or simply in a rush, you still can't expect people to instantly form a line with a red carpet for you to stroll across. In fact half the people you are pushing around to get your way would spend the next 3 minutes trying to process what just happened. To be honest, a simple "excuse me", or "I'm sorry" would do.

Then comes the people who blast music EVERYWHERE. Or as I call them, "stereos". Haven't you people heard of earphones? Just because you like your music doesn't mean I have to like it too. If you could afford an iPod, earphones are not that expensive. Maybe you should try them out some time. Of course, I have to admit, I had some pretty hilarious experiences.

Once, I got on the bus heading home and a tough looking guy with tattoos and piercings came on as well. We tapped out cards and we happened to stand next to each other on the sardine-packed bus. He took out he iPhone, flipped through his playlist and the song that came on shocked me. It was the kind of reactions where you honestly you don't know if you should laugh at him or cry for him. He was listening and bobbing his head to.... wait for it... "A girl like you" from the movie "Barbie: Princess and the Pauper". Yes, this is where you start bursting out in laughs. I know its being stereotypical, but as much as I love Barbie movies, a grown man with tattoos and piercings listening to Barbie songs just seemed too hilarious.

Have I ever mentioned I nearly got burned by a cigarette once? It was an accident but still. I have established that I very much dislike smokers but hey, if you smoke, don't swing and wave your lighted cigarette around like a lightsaber. It is dangerous! I was walking to school once and some guy was smoking and walking, waving his cigarette around like he owned the road. I was rushing to school since I was REALLY late so i tried slipping past them. His cigarette nearly brushed my hand. It was so close. He apologized of course but if your in public, not just cigarettes. Keep anything that can harm other people out of the way. You do realize a lot more people are part of the public other than yourself.

I really can't stand people who talk, scream and laugh really loud in public. I admit, I am guilty of that too. However, it still annoys me. I try anyhow. Not that it is very successful. It just gets really frustrating. Your friend is just a few inches away from you. Not two cabins away. I am pretty sure they can very well hear you. I hate it when people shout in public too. Especially if the scream my name. My mom does that. She would keep yelling "CHERYL!! WHERE ARE YOU?". It gets on my nerves. One, I have a phone, you have a phone. Call me. Two, I hate it when my name is screamed in public. Call it paranoia but I'm sometimes afraid of weirdos following me home or something. It is weird.

Of course not everyone is mean. Like today, I needed directions to meet someone and I sat next to a really nice Malay woman. She gave me directions and even told me when I should alight. I thought she was really nice. Then there are also times when kind souls pick up my wallet of phone when I dropped them and actually run after me to return it. Or the ones who held the lift and doors for me. Sometimes, little simple gestures is all it takes.


No comments:

Post a Comment